Affidavits and Notary Services
An affidavit is a document with a set of statements that you declare and swear to be true. You need to do this in front of a “commissioner for affidavits”. A commissioner is someone authorized by the Province of Ontario to witness certain kinds of sworn documents, such as affidavits. You could be asked to do an affidavit when you apply to the government for something or by a company when they need information from you. It may be a form that is given to you or you may be expected to write it yourself.
Sometimes government forms ask you to sign them in front of a “notary public”. A notary public is a person authorized by the Province of Ontario to witness the swearing of oaths and to certify documents. Affidavits that will be sent outside Canada need to be “notarized”. Lawyers are usually notary publics.
Our Clinic can help you if you need to have an affidavit done or if you need a notary to witness a document or make certified copies of documents. You must be financially eligible for this service. You will need to make an appointment for notary services. We will make photocopies and then “certify” them as copies of the original by having the notary public sign the copies. If you need an affidavit sworn, it is best to make an appointment. If you walk in to our office we will try to do it for you right away, but we might need to make an appointment for another time.
We can assist you to write (“draft”) your affidavit. After you read the affidavit, then you will declare and swear that the set of statements in the affidavit are true in front of a commissioner or a notary. Finally, you will sign the affidavit and the commissioner or notary will sign the affidavit as well.
Examples of when would I need an affidavit or a notary service
- A subsidized housing provider may ask you to provide an affidavit about your income.
- You may want to give a caregiver permission to travel outside of the country with your child or children.
- Ontario Works, Ontario Disability Support Program or another government office wants forms or applications witnessed.
- You may need an affidavit because you have lost a piece of identification such as a passport.
- You may need a certified copy of an official document.
We do not offer service for the following
- Corporate or business affidavits.
- Land transfer tax affidavit, or any real estate matters.