Text Size

Getting Help in Hamilton

The Hamilton Community legal clinic provides advice and representation on issues such as Tenant Rights (Residential Tenancies Act), Workers’ Compensation (WSIB), Ontario Works (OW), Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP), Canada Pension Plan (CPP), Employment Insurance (EI) and Criminal Injuries Compensation Board (CICB).

If you need help in other area of law there are other ways you can get help.

Some cases may be covered by legal aid certificates. The following four broad categories of law may be covered by certificates.

This is not, however, a complete list. Contact the legal aid office about your specific case.

Getting Help in the Courtroom: Duty Counsel Services

Duty Counsel are lawyers assigned to courts to provide free assistance to persons who do not have a lawyer.  Duty counsel is available in criminal cases (GETTING HELP- CRIMINAL LAW), in family courts, GETTING HELP – FAMILY LAW and at the Ontario Rental Housing Tribunal.

At the Ontario Rental Housing Tribunals, duty counsel can provide basic legal advice and counseling, negotiate settlements with landlords and represent tenants who do not have a lawyer. Tenant duty counsel does not provide full representation.

Ontario Rental Housing Tribunals duty counsel can be found at:

Ellen Fairclough Building
119 King Street West, 6th Floor,
Hamilton, ON
Tuesdays and Thursdays ONLY
9:00 AM and 1:00 PM

Getting Help outside the Courtroom

Advice Lawyer

Clients can receive assistance from the advice lawyer. Lawyers provide advice, assistance, and review documents. This service is available in the evening at different times and locations. Please call us for details.

Women’s Advice Services

There are several of these general advice clinics throughout the city, on Monday evenings.  Please contact our office for details.

Family Law Information Centre (FLIC)

The FLIC is located at Family Court.  It’s a drop-in centre with service on a first come-first serve basis. At the FLIC, you can get legal advice, obtain court forms and brochures, information about mediation and community resources.

Superior Court of Justice, Family Court
55 Main Street West, Hamilton
9:00 AM – 12:30 PM, 1:30 PM- 4:00 PM
905-645-5252  ext 2554


Anyone looking for legal advice in a specific area of law may contact the Lawyer Referral Service. The phone number is 1-800-268-8326.  The Lawyer Referral Service representative will provide the name and phone number of a lawyer who may be able to deal with your issue.

Call the LRS member lawyer and receive up to 30 minutes of free consultation.